Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Argh-Colic

Ever since she was a foetus in her mother's womb, Baby Bel has had hiccups. Sometimes, the hiccups would even wake her mum up in the middle of the night.

Today, beyond hiccups (which doesn't seem to bother her), Baby Bel looks like she has colic .... argh... colic.... I've read books and surfed the Internet quite extensively on this subject, and I've found out that the doctors have not fully figured out the cause nor the remedy for colic. On what causes colic, I've read that one theory is that the baby has an immature digestive system and hence cannot process the milk fully. Another theory is that the baby starts crying a lot when he/she is over stimulated, hence all the crying helps him/her to block out all the external noise stimuli. There are 3 remedies that are widely recommended to cure colic:

1) The colic arm hold

2) A passifier for the baby to suck (see how well it works in photo attached)

3) Gripe water - which was difficult to find in France initially, since I couldn't find the translation for it. Nonetheless, I described it as "a mixture of herbs to help colicky babies" and my pharmacist said that many parents in France use a product called "CALMOSINE".

Anyway, Baby Bel loves all three remedies, especially CALMOSINE, she looks as happy to drink that as she does her daily dose of Vitamin D.
Wish us luck, we hope Baby Bel will stop crying so much :-)

No comments: